Design for Historic Homes
Design for a historic home
There’s also the romantic notion of bringing an old home back to life: done right, the results of a restoration can be incredible.
Historic home restoration is a specialized and intricate field,
How to properly go about renovating your historic property:
- Research the history of your property thoroughly
- Identify any original features, architecture & materials
- Keep additions & updates in the main style and period of the structure. See these examples of historic home styles.
- Authenticate any desired changes to the property through
- Historic documents & photos
- Government & Property Records
- Written & Oral Histories
- Select paint colors that vary from other properties in the district to avoid repetition.
- Historic paint pallets are available from most paint manufacturers, and any paint distributer will color match.
- Look for examples and inspiration from established historic neighborhoods, books, magazines
- Obtain any necessary approval for exterior changes to a property from your local Historic District governing authority. This includes, but not limited to:
- Paint colors
- Columns & Beams
- Windows & Doors
- Accessory buildings